About Me

My photo
Middle of the US, IN
I am an artist in my early(yikes)50’s

Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Surreal Experience


Reciently, I took a job as an artist model, for a figure drawing class being held here in my little town in Northwestern Michigan.

I've never done anything like this before and honestly, it is totally unlike me. But that being the very reason to do this I did.

Let me just set up the scene...
This class is being held in the basement of our local community theater. Now this is a place that I am very familiar with. I do a lot of community theater and have been all over that theater. It is a wonderful big old place with, in addition to the theater, fly space, and dressing rooms, a ballroom, and a hall where they have art exibitions as well as Studio Theater productions. In addition, there is also a classroom and a basement-where another classroom is as well as where props and costumes are stored.

As stated we, the class and I, were in the basement. Now when there is an overflow of events, sometimes there is rehersal in the hall which happens to be right above the basement classroom. Well let me just tell you, it was a very surreal experiance to be modeling naked while up above you a group of overworked business owners reherse "Popeye the Sailor Man" and "Day-o" for the local Jaycees Talent Night.

I had to laugh, one of the guys in class said "If this were happening at home it wouldn't be surreal you would think it perfectly normal"......to which I have to say "What?????"

No comments: